My 2014 Beauty Haul followed by a Beauty Buying Ban

Towards the end of 2013 and beginning of 2014 I was getting out of control with my beauty purchases to the point that my cupboard was overflowing and I was stashing the products in random places and finding other products in its place that I had stashed previously and forgotten about.  This is when I had to re-evaluate my situation on what I actually owned, how many products I had and what to do with them.

When the weekend came around, I sent the hubby and son off for a day of bonding at the bike track and I took everything out of my linen cupboard till it was bare. I stripped all drawers in my home bare including the bathroom and bedroom and I was horrified by the amount of products I actually had.  I was kind of proud at the same time, I think it could be some kind of record of achievement, just like Rebecca Bloomwood in Confessions of a Shopaholic!

So before I show you a picture of all my beauty stash, I will show you my last beauty haul In January this year.

1


2

3

4

5


6

7

 
8

Priceline buys;
1. Boujois Lip Palette. Love it compact and fun colours.
2. Glam Manicare eyelashes and nail art.
3. Manicare mini tweezers for the handbag.  Perfect to pluck between traffic light stops!

Chemist Warehouse finds;
4. Discovered an amazing brand from the UK Grace Cole.  Love the body wash & cream.
5. Olivella is another amazing body wash, leaves the skin soft and smooth.

Random Pharmacies;
5. Can't help it when I come across Mavala colours at a random pharmacy, I cannot resist a good price
     for such great quality polishes.
6. Just happened to walk past a chemist and spotted Mavala in the window!

Mind you I also get a nice stash of products from events and to review so you would think this would suffice but it didn't.

Since going back to work full-time, it has been easier to resist the splurge and missing out on sales and bargains.  It has also done wonders for the purse.

After being horrified with myself, then proud, then shocked and back to being horrified, the reality settled in and I realised I had way to much for personal use, I don't think that it could all be used by the time they expire.  With the realisation slapping me in the face, that I cannot buy anymore products until I have used a good amount of them up, (emotional feelings began to arise) meaning I wouldn't be able to buy any new products that came out or get excited about new makeup, soap, body prods because by the time I got to use it, it wouldn't be as exciting anymore.

I decided to create little care packages for family, friends.  I have also created some pressies for birthdays that are coming up. I have also sorted all the items from oldest to newest and have spread them out in the bathroom and bedroom to use.

So you ask what is the real reason behind this action? How can a beauty addict just give up cold turkey?  I should be able to justify each purchase because after all I am a beauty blogger! Well, you are right, there is another reason for this major clean up and beauty ban.  In September, I will be heading to the US and UK for a lovely 6 week holiday, spending time with family and friends in both countries. Yes, the countries that have amazing shops (Sephora) with amazing prices and brands etc.  This was the perfect incentive to start my beauty buying ban. 

I have put together some photos of my (ahem) hoarding collection for you to ogle at.  Remember these photos are after the cull, I have already packaged alot of the items in cute gift bags and have allocated names to them already, waiting for the birthdays to come around.

I previously had 25 photos of every single item laid out properly so you could look at it all.  After reducing each photo's size so viewing will be easier on my blog, I became horrified when each photo was saved as a blank.  All the time and effort it took me to lay everything out, several hours to be exact.  So I had to retake the photos but this time in its place so you may not see each item.  I can tell you that I stopped counting at around 500, so these images do not do my hoarding collection justice.

PLEASE BE AWARE, SOME PEOPLE MAY BE DISTURBED BY THE FOLLOWING IMAGES

Sorted basket in linen cupboard

2nd level of basket



In my travel beauty bag

One side of dresser I have 120 nail polishes, + nail products,
waxing on the bottom

In here I had loads of products which cannot be seen

In this makeup bag there are 20 hand creams & few other things

My Chanel collection with over 20 eyeshadows, 20 lipsticks and other palettes,
the rest are  Loreal, Ulta3, Rimmel, Maybelline etc

Perfume samples, miniatures, hair accessories and other bits and bobs

Chubby sticks, glosses and more

Bathroom cabinet is bare

In bathroom cabinet, hair & face products
Everyday items on dresser

Colours Ive decided to sell in a box

Snapshot of my nail polish

Everyday makeup box

So, there you have it, my beauty stash.  Hiding in drawers, cupboards, boxes all over my home all out in the open, exposed naked for all to see. I will admit I have a problem because I don't. I have a passion for beauty products.  Some people collect match sticks or rocks and I collect beauty products. 

Do you have a secret stash or guilty pleasure you indulge in?  I would really love to know. 

Maybe attach a photo too.  How about I give away a prize to the best stash story!

Comments