Friday, 16 May 2014

Adrenal Fatigue - Is there such a thing?

I have been absent from blogging lately, not because I don't have time or have lost interest, but because I haven't been feeling well.  I have been feeling unwell for some time now and I had put it down to the flu and being run down.  I work full-time, look after a family and blog part-time, which, a lot of mums multi task anyways. 

I love my blogging and I still feel very passionate about it but I couldn't find the energy to write my weekly post.  This was making me feel unhappy and doubting my ability and passion, but my extreme tiredness and feeling of unwellness was out of character for me I finally decided to see a doctor.  At first I was prescribed antibiotics (twice) as I was diagnosed with a stubborn flu.  After the second lot not doing anything the GP wanted to give me another one and that is when I said no.  Already endured two blood tests and GP wanting to do a third to check for Adrenal stress and fatigue I decided to go and see a naturopath.  During my consultation which included an iridology check, I was told that my adrenals seemed stressed and was recommended some vitamins and to relax and not take on too much. I was also recommended acupuncture.

The next thing I did was google Adrenal Fatigue.  There was so much information on the net it was making my head spin. 

It has been 6 weeks since I have commenced several vitamins; Liver detox, multivitamin and stress relief, as well as acupuncture and massage on a weekly basis.  I have also reduced my commitments and changed many things in my life to simplify my days to avoid stress.  If the ironing basket is overflowing, I shut the spare room door and ignore it until I feel like I can tackle it.

6 weeks on, I feel better.  I am sleeping better and feel that I have more energy.  I still get low days that I feel like I've only slept for an hour, so I listen to my body and take the day off from work and relax and then I feel great the next day.

At the moment taking each day at a time is hard for me as I am sort of an organised freak and like to set out my week in advance, but I am learning to accept it and being more relaxed about things and having a more laid back approach about everyday.

I would be very interested to hear my readers thoughts on this issue.  Have you felt run down without any explanation.  What did you do about it.

3 comments:

  1. I can completely relate! I went to my doctor and found out I have extremely low blood pressure and my pulse rate is also very slow. Makes life very difficult but I just have to push through it even if simple every day tasks feel impossible. I know it is bad but caffeine helps me a little bit, but I have to have it very strong to feel any effect. Unfortunately I've been told there isn't anything I can do to fix it. Thank you for sharing your story, it is nice to have someone to relate to instead of being judged as lazy! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback Candice. I really appreciate it when readers interact with my posts. You are right there isn't anything that can be done to fix it only changing what we do to help it and manage it. I think there are many people who suffer in silence and that is why I wanted to write about it.

      Delete
  2. This is a great honest post B. I understand exactly how you feel- this has been me the last few months. Thought it was just my anaemia and being run down. Since seeing a naturopath and getting back into yoga slowly feeling like I'm getting slightly back to normal. It can feel like an overwhelming struggle and I think you're right that there could be a lot of people out there who suffer in silence. I send good vibes for good health your way xxx

    ReplyDelete

Hi there gorgeous! Thanx for your contribution to my blog, truly appreciate your support!